Hey guys! June blew by FAST! Woof.
I’ve pulled together some of the things I’ve been vibing on this month which I think you’ll dig too! Let me know what you think in the comments, have you tried any of them already? Is there anything you’re excited to check out! Tell me, tell me!
1. You guys, Barre 3 is the shiiiittttt. I’ve done plenty of Barre classes before, but when I was in Austin last month I got to go check out some Barre 3 classes and they are INSANE. Hands down the best workout I’ve ever had. You get all the grace and elegance of pilates and a bit of ballet technique, all while having your ass handed to you. I can’t think of any other exercise class where I’ve sweated SO HARD. So when I came home and went to my usual Barre and Pilates classes they seemed like, kinda easy. I missed that leg and arm trembling, not being able to walk after class feeling (and this is coming from the fat kid who HATED gym class at school). So, when I found out you could subscribe to Barre 3 online classes, I was like HELL YEAH. You need a mat and a few basic bits of equipment to get started – or you could do what I do and fill a couple of water bottles up and they double for weights. If you want to have a taster to see if you like the style of classes, you can get a pretty good feeling for them here and here. So, now I mix in a couple of Barre 3 classes a week into my usual workout routine, and really helped me to kick it up a notch in my pilates class, definitely feeling stronger.
2. This is another U.S. find, but I did some recon and you can order Love and Roses online in the UK from A Beautiful World. I’m a total sucker for rose scented products (and pretty packaging) so I grabbed a bottle of this from Anthropologie, almost pretty mindlessly. Now I’m pretty addicted to the stuff, and love spraying it all over my face and body after a workout or just to freshen up. Side note: people we need to talk about this, why do people at gyms/yoga studio changing rooms INSIST on spraying crazy amounts of deodorant IN YOUR FACE after a workout?? That stuff is so nasty, it makes me gag!! It needs to STOP! Sort yourself out with a roll-on or even better, one of these. Ok, so back to Love and Roses, apart from smelling gorgeous, it has hydrating, anti-ageing and anti-inflammatory properties, as well as having calming aromatherapy effect. You can use it as a toner in-between cleansing and moisturising, and it’s not totally filled with weird crap, so it fits in with my mission to revamp my skincare routine with more ‘natural’ products. I’m dying to try out other Olivine Love + products too, like these Love + Peace bath salts or this Love + Salt hair and body mist.
3. The g’free cracker game in the UK is pretty awful, so it was it was a treat to find these Free’d sesame and chia crackers in my June LifeBox. I’ve been trying really hard to stick to g’free as much as possible (the major exception being afternoon tea at La Suite West in London last weekend. You need to try it once!) because my digestion and overall energy levels just feel better when I’m not eating processed gluten-containing foods. Anyway, I was struggling for a something to shovel mashed avocado into my mouth (and hummus for that matter) and these turned out to be right on the money. I haven’t seen them anywhere in Leeds yet, but you can for sure get them in Wholefoods in London, and maybe Holland and Barrett?
4. Sampire is my new favourite veg. It’s a seaweed that’s related to parsley and tastes a bit like salty asparagus. You can use it raw in salads, or heat it up with some garlic and lemon. YUM!
5. I just finished reading Meat is For Pussies by John Joseph and, I can’t say I learned too much that I didn’t already know, but this book was hilarious and I really enjoyed Joseph’s pretty inspiring story about going from being a meat-eating, pussy, waster on drugs and booze, to sorting his shit out, changing to a plant based diet, and smashing Ironman triathlons. This book is a MUST read for dudes who want to get their health and life in order, but don’t know where to start. It has a comprehensive diet and exercise plan, as well as a foreword by one of my favourite human beings, Rich Roll.
6. So, it kinda got somewhat warm here the other day, I mean, by English standards anyway. I wanted something cold but didn’t want to buy a huge tub of ice cream or whatever, so I bought myself one of these OkoBay coconut water ices. I’ve since gone back and bought a ton more, because they are freaking awesome. No weird ingredients, just awesome coconut flavour (have I mentioned before how much I love coconut?). Now if only summer would show up, maybe we could get down with more of these.
Some other stuff you need to check out:
This episode of the RRP talks about the problems of too much animal protein in the diet, and how the whole protein thing is BS.
Loving the new St Vincent song now – reminds me of hot summer TX nights and makes me miss it like whoah! Apparently Lena Dunham asked her to write something for Girls? IDK.
One last thing, make sure and get yourself down to the Leeds Waterfront Fest this weekend. I’ll be at Leeds Dock from 11 on Saturday and Sunday with Holly from Yoga hero giving free mini nutrition consultations at her Health and Happiness hub! See you there.
Catch you next week, be cool guys x