Kale and quinoa with creamy, cheesy, cashew sauce.
Write a review
For the Cheese Sauce
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 30 mins (not critical if you have a high speed blender)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 clove(s) garlic
- 1 cup vegetable stock (I like Marigold brand, vegan bouillon)
- Smoked paprika (start with ½ tsp. and go from there)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- 1.5 cups cooked quinoa
- Big bag shredded kale (seriously like the 160-200g bags) I like my ratio of kale to quinoa quite high, but adjust to your needs
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a blender until completely smooth and then allow to blend for a few minutes on high speed to heat up, the heat will help it thicken the cashews.
- Cook your quinoa and transfer to a bowl with the kale in it while it's still hot, pour the warm cashew sauce over everything (the kale will wilt from the heat). Enjoy!
- If you want thicker sauce for using on mac and cheese or something, add less veg stock.
- If you have a cashew allergy (sorry!) then I've been told almonds work here, just don't add as much water, and use peeled almonds if you can find them.
Laura Thomas, PhD | Registered Nutritionist | Wellness Advocate https://www.laurathomasphd.co.uk/