I haven’t done one of these in a while, I was busy moving in August so skipping forward to September. In July’s post I didn’t say anything about food/snacks, so I’m about to make up for it now I have WholeFoods and Planet Organic on my doorstep. You ready?
- Raw Halo Chocolate? Hey good lookin’! Is this not some of the prettiest chocolate you’ve ever seen? Yeah, they’re stunning. I picked up a bar of their mylk + crispies chocolate from Raw Press a while back and was like whoah! Smooth and creamy ‘mylk’ chocolate with crunchy little puffs of rice. This stuff is the real deal, AND it’s pretty good for you (remember our talk about raw chocolate?). One day, when I’m less broke, I’m going to treat myself to one of their vegan mylk collection boxes. Thought it was also a pretty good Christmas gift idea too (write it down before you forget!).
- SynerChi Kombucha I’m still on my eternal quest for decent kombucha, whereby I have taken it upon myself to try all the kombucha on the market in order to try and find one that isn’t total garbage and report back to you -saving you a lot of pain and heartache along the way. I know that feeling you get when you see that your favourite health food store has a new brand in and you get wayyy pumped only to find out it tastes like carbonated vinegar. Bitter disappointment. So I’ll take the hit for you, and the verdict on SynerChi is: would recommend. I’ve only tried the raspberry and rosehip, but it’s got a good fizz to it, and the flavour is good too.
- Cool Chile Co I was really really excited to find Cool Chile Co. Since I moved back to the UK I’ve been on a mission to find good quality corn tortillas – i.e. ones that are just corn, water, and a little salt. The closest I’ve come are some crappy deep fried taco shells that are way too salty and oily. Then I discovered Cool Chile Co, and their range of amazing blue and yellow corn tortillas, salsas, chiles and all this other cool stuff that I haven’t even tried yet. I’m obsessed! Check out their stall at Borough market if you’re in London, otherwise order that shit through their website or find a stockist near you! Look out for a taco recipe later in the week too.
- Planet Organic So I’m not really into buying energy/snack bars. I get them every now and then in my LifeBox and they’re usually pretty good but I’m never blown away by any of the brands I try, they’re pretty much all variations on a theme, and that theme is boring. Like, I could just get a bunch of dates, some almond butter and some raw cacoa nibs and call it a day (it tastes better too). So if I’m writing about a snack bar here, you know it has to be pretty good, right? Well the Planet Organic one is totally delicious because cashew butter. Yes, cashew butter <3 and some other deish things like cacoa, brazil nuts, and maca. Planet Organic have a bunch of other great products; the nut butters are so addictive, it’s dangerous, but in a good way – and they’re on buy one get one free just now – so get on that ASAP (they deliver all over the UK)
- Gimme Chips So, I know I moan a lot about things not being as good in the UK as they are in the US – the kombucha, the corn tortillas, the chips. Whatever, it’s kinda my MO. Anyway, I feel vindicated, because now they’re just straight up importing US chips into the UK. It’s like they’ve just admitted defeat and are lying down and taking it. US crips are all like “whatchu got UK?” and the UK is all like “eh…potatoes?” and the US is like “we put freakin’ seaweed up in there” and the UK is like “well, shit” and just gives up. At least, that’s probably how it went. Anyway, GimMe chips aren’t technically even crisps as we know them, they’re brown rice chips – not to be confused with rice cakes, of which I’m also a big fan- but these are crunchy like tortillas chips, with a blast of seaweed, sesame, and lentils. I’m really into the teriyaki flavour (duh, who wouldn’t be) but the other flavours are also pretty great. And they don’t feel greasy or salty like normal chips/crisps (I’m getting myself confused here). Level up your party snack game with these babies, loadsa guac, and some Cool Chile Co chipotle salsa. These are also on buy one get one free at WholeFoods just now (although not sure where else you can get them, soz).
Ok so what else do I have to tell you about? Well for one, you need to go check out this sweet new site from my friend and LabOrganic cofounder Sofia put together. Mealz is a new online platform that allows food-loving communities to explore recipes, share their own creations, organise recipes into digital cookbooks and plan meals in a beautiful personalised calendar! It’s like your own personal meal planner meets pinterest. Once you log on and create a profile, you can follow bloggers like Deliciously Ella, Naturally Sassy, Madeleine Shaw, and yup, yours truly! Most of my recipes are already up there, and I’ll add new ones as I post them to the site. Pretty cool, huh?
There are still some places left on my workshop, Plant One On Me, for those of you in London town. As well as a cookbook, a 6 week guidebook, and all these goodies from Lifebox (who are my awesome partners in this), and maybe a few extra surprises. And of course, you get to hang with me!
One last thing, I really want a pet racoon after seeing this chill AF coon who thinks they’re a dog! I mean, just look at him!
That’s it for now kids, but I’ll be back on Friday with a cool seasonal taco recipe. Catch you then!