Hope you’re not mad at me for not posting a new recipe last week. It’s totally my B – I was too busy being on the front page of the Huffington Post, yeah, I know, NBD.
JK, it’s exciting stuff! I’m really grateful that HuffPo like me enough to put my ramblings next to actual, legit news. Only thing is that researching those articles and making sure the science holds up so I don’t have trolls on my ass takes a lot of time. So, I can’t be posting recipes here all the time AND I still get dumb trolls on my ass. But I’m going to make it up to you with an awesome 3 ingredient chocolate fudge next week and we’ll be friends again.
Ok, but I have a teensy favour to ask – please, PLEASE head over to the Huff Po and read, like, and share my posts. You can see them all here. And, if you’re feeling extra nice, then maybe leave me a nice comment to balance out the trolls!
So, what have I been vibing on this month?
- Natural Vitality’s Organic Smoked Hummus. Ok. Confession. The other day I literally polished off an entire tub of this BY MYSELF. That’s how good it is. I was also real hungry and had no other food in the house. But whatever, if you haven’t tried this yet, then get on it. I don’t know how they smoke it, it doesn’t really matter. All you need to know is that this isn’t your average basic ass hummus.
- Proteinaholic by Garth Davis, MD. I first heard about Dr. Davis on the Rich Roll Podcast, where he talked about our misplaced obsession with protein, something that I’m personally really interested after having done some digging on the topic myself (read more about that here, it’s another shameless plug) and now I get everyone to listen to this episode – my friends, boyfriend, clients, noone is safe. But genuinely it’s a really good conversation, so take a listen. Also, I can’t wait to read his new book and you should read it too! Dr. Davis takes all the best science we have on protein and unpack it to help us understand the problems of eating too much protein from animal sources. This is top of my reading list you guys!
HO-LEE-SHIT!! Is that and ADVERT?? What the hell??
Yeah guys, it is. Sorry, but a girl’s gotta eat! It’s hella spenny to keep the blog up and running so, from now on, any Amazon links you see on the site, are affiliate links. All this means is that if you buy something through my site, which btw, doesn’t cost you anything extra, means I get a tiny bit of commission, and I mean tiny. BUT, it will totally help me out so I can keep bringing you guys awesome recipes, healthy ideas, and plant based nutrition resources. So, we cool? Thanks for understanding guys.
3. Pudology. This stuff is insane. Forget your effing avocado pudding, this coconut – chocolate orange mashup is the tits. No weird ingredients – just rich and creamy chocolatey dreams. They have a bunch of different flavours, including a vanilla chocolate pud, a coconut yoghurt, and according to their site, a FREAKIN’ MILLIONAIRE’S SHORTBREAD pud. Chocolate, caramel, and g’free biscuit layer? Sign me up! Can’t even wait to try that. I haven’t seen it in the shops yet but I found the others at Holland and Barrett.
4. Clearspring Tamari Cashews. You know when you want a crunchy salty snack but you don’t want greasy, oily, chips that leave that gross fatty residue caked around your mouth? Well this is what you need instead. Tamari roasted cashews are my new go-to and totally hit the mark salty snack wise. I love that they come in little snack size pouches for throwing in your bag, or having at your desk too. Although I downed a pack between the shop and my house the other day. Anyway. They also have tamari roasted pumpkin seeds and almonds that are equally as delish. Get them at Whole Foods or buy them here!
5. That’s So Retrograde. So, I’m a bit of a Podcast Junkie. And when I find a new Podcast that I love, I totally binge on it the way people do with Netflix. When my friend told me about TSR, I was a bit skeptical, it sounded kinda weird. The premise is a couple of LA ladies who talk to a whole bunch of health gurus on their quest to figure out what it means to be healthy to them. If it sounds kinda new agey, and woo-woo, it’s because it totally is. But in the best possible way. Trust me. Elizabeth and Stephanie give good Podcast. They are smart and funny and totally ridiculous and I went back and listened to their entire back catalogue and every week I’m literally staring my phone out, waiting for them to post a new ep. They talk about everything from morning practices (do you even meditate bro?) and mindfulness to bowel movements, colonic irrigation, and more often than not there’s some hysterical dick chat (I highly recommend revisiting the “I Woke Up Like This” episode for a good example of this). But what I love about this pod so much, is how they make all this stuff relevant and cool and give you ideas of how you can build a healthy lifestyle that is meaningful for you, without the pressure and judgement, from yourself or otherwise, of trying to be perfect ALL THE TIME. They’re just presenting a bunch of perspectives, and you get to pick which things you try and which are not for you. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. Also I wish these guys were in the UK so we could kick it because they’re hella cool and SO FUNNY. If you see me sitting on the tube laughing audibly to myself, I’m probably listening to this pod. Subscribe on iTunes.
Speaking of dicks… I was also cracking up this week at my bud Jessica Murnane’s pod, when she and her pal Ashlae Warner of Oh LadyCakes talked about this very NSFW tumblr – Things My Dick Does aka the adorable life of one man’s penis. This is too funny.
Ok, have a great weekend you guys, and don’t dress up as anything racist this Halloween, you hear me? What have you been vibing on this month? Tweet me and use #thatsmyjam so I can see!