These recipes went down so well at the Don’t Salt My Game party last week I figured I should share the recipe. But I can’t take any credit – they’re from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (best vegan cookbook).
If you’re not vegan then I’m pretty sure regular butter would do. I use Pure sunflower spread though, and I use granulated sugar instead of saster as the crystals are bigger and that makes the texture better too.
- 1 cup margarine, chilled (I use Pure sunflower spread)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar (granulated works best)
- 1 tablespoon molasses (treacle)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Cream together the margarine and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the molasses and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix well.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls spaced a little over 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until ever so slightly browned. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.